[Techtalk] Largest hard drive useable with an Intel Celeron 466

Malcolm Tredinnick malcolm at commsecure.com.au
Fri Dec 20 11:16:53 EST 2002

On Fri, Dec 20, 2002 at 08:56:41AM +1100, Mary wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> I'm thinking of building a fileserver using an Intel Celeron 466 I have.
> What's the largest hard drive that I could use with that processor (or,
> if the answer is "depends", how do I find out)?

It's not the CPU that's really your problem here -- it's the BIOS. Older
BIOS's will have problems detecting larger hard-drives at power-on and
so your OS will never see them. Search for your BIOS information on the
net (or the motherboard manufacturer's site) and see if they have recent
upgrades. The notes for the upgrades often mention things like "will
support drives up to 120GB now" or something similar.

Cheers,
Malcolm

--
Atheism is a non-prophet organization.