[Techtalk] Alsa question

/dev/null dev_null at iriXx.org
Sun Dec 15 18:34:58 EST 2002

hi patricia
i've been struggling with vaguely similiar things since discovering that
mandrake has its own alsa and devfs - which makes installing 0.9 from
source fun and games..... anyhow....

afaik you can install both of the alsa *libs*.... i did this by rpm -i
rather than rpm -Uvh.... should install alongside rather than upgrade
packages (please correct me if i'm wrong on this!)....

other possibility is to install alsa-lib from source but i'd really
advise *against* this if you're using mdk rpms.... its a last ditch
thing and can really fsck up your alsa because of the way mdk uses
devfs.... i'm just in the process of untangling 0.9rc5 alsa modules from
mandrakes supplied 0.9rc2 modules.... erk......

hth
m~

Patricia Fraser wrote:
| Hi all,
|
| I have alsa installed (the now-deprecated 0.5 version, which came with
Mdk
| 8.2). I now want to install mplayer, but it wants the later version of
alsa -
| specifically, libasound.so.2.
|
| Can I install both alsas (rpm chokes when asked to install the later
version,
| and I can't get rid of the old one - it's used by all sorts of things)?
|
| Any alsa or mplayer gurus who can help me?
|
| Cheers,

- --
iriXx
www.iriXx.org

copyleft: creativity, technology and freedom?
info at copyleftmedia.org.uk
www.copyleftmedia.org.uk

~ _
( )  ascii ribbon against html email