[Techtalk] Setting up/applying filters in Pan

gab gab at gorge.net
Wed Dec 11 19:30:44 EST 2002

I am having the devil of a time setting up a killfile in Pan.  I can't
figure out if I don't have the 'filter on sender' part set up right, or
if I'm not applying it correctly, or what.

I'm pretty sure they were working before I upgraded to my current
version, pan-0.11.3-1.ximian.1, installed from rpm.  (Unfortunately I
have no idea what my previous version was.)  "Pretty sure" means I
wasn't noticing any posts from the Evil Ones until I did my upgrade. It
is entirely possible that a troll invasion coincided with my upgrade,
but that doesn't explain why I can't get the filters to work again.

For example:
edit -> rules -> "Delete articles by bozos".
Neither "Apply to subscribed groups" or "Apply to selected groups" gets
rid of the offending articles.  The "Hit Ratio" stays at 0.

I checked out /home/me/.pan/data/filters and rules, and they seem to be
in order to my unpracticed eye.  All the right names are in there.

I went to the pan website to find the manual and only found a "we're
working on it" message.

Anybody have any tips/pointers/secret instructions for me?  I can't even
figure out how to troubleshoot this.

gabrielle, feelin' clueless.