[Techtalk] multiple domains, single server

Rod Roark rod at sunsetsystems.com
Wed Dec 11 14:45:35 EST 2002

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 11:47 am, Raquel Rice wrote:
> On Wed, 11 Dec 2002 11:18:49 -0800
> I don't know who this person is, but I think that it's horrible to
> accuse him of being a spammer.

No offense or accusations intended.  I have no idea who he
is either, and honestly really wanted to know whether the
question had relevance outside of the spamming business.

> I host several domains on my server.  There is no way that the owner
> one domain would accept anything but their domain in the
> from/replyto,

As already mentioned, those come from the mail client.

> or any other part of the headers

I believe you.  But I find that interesting, as my clients
don't seem to care about headers that are not usually
looked at.

On Wednesday 11 December 2002 11:49 am, Malcolm-Rannirl wrote:
> On Wednesday 11 December 2002 02:18 pm, Rod Roark wrote:
> > Regardless of what you put in the headers, anyone who cares
> > will do a reverse lookup on the IP to see where it came from.
>
> If you read the original post, it clearly states that the domains have
> seperate IPs. Otherwise the whole issue would indeed be as pointless as you
> say.

Then as Raven notes, you'll need multiple instances of the
mail server.  But you already said you didn't want to do
that.

I am out of ideas, sorry.

Peace,

-- Rod