[Techtalk] Loop devices Was Re: Bad Superblocks

Judith Elaine Bush bush at grey-cat.com
Wed Dec 4 10:03:49 EST 2002

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 10:45:32AM +0000, Conor Daly wrote:
> ARRGGHHH!  NOO!
> I didn't mean that!  I guess I should have detailed it...

Yup, figured out it had changed the image file after it didn't work by
comparing the hexdump of the beginning of the image file to the
device. So, indeed, i dd'ed the device again and created a new image,
this time changing it to read-only. Interestingly, the process only
messed with the leading block. The rest of the blocks were the
same. (Hopefully the back up superblocks would have been in the same
positions....)

> filesystem in a file.  Here, however, you already _have_ such an "fs in
> file" so you simply want to loop mount _that_.  That's just a one-liner:
>
> mount -o loop -t ext2 /User/blondie/TIA3/roar /TIA3-B/part2

IT was worth the try, but it didn't work. I'm planning on finding some
DOS HD utilites, and making a boot floppy, and muck around the system
in the New Year. (I've a new OS for my laptop top play with now.)

> Sorry I didn't detail the command earlier but I've been using
> "mount -o loop" for years now and I'd just assumed people would know...

So i've run across this before but haven't really paid attention. Why
DO you use mount as a loop device? I've recall one person who
described how he was encrypting his life and it seemed he had to mount
an encrypted file as his home directory -- would that use the loop
device? Any other useful bits?

Thanks for the advice!

Cheers,
judith