[Techtalk] Mounting Confusion

Judith Elaine Bush bush at grey-cat.com
Tue Dec 3 16:16:29 EST 2002

I actually just went through something rather similar. (Look, a burn
on my hand to prove it!)

First, I'd suggest sharing the output of fdisk -l with us all. This
will display all the disks and partions that your system knows your
BIOS knows about. Perhaps you could also share your /etc/fstab as well.

Then, i'm a little confused. When you say "I am using hdc," does this
mean that you've installed the OS on hdc and you can boot the system
from it (or from a floppy)?

/home/xxx/ literally is a fine mount point. The output of fdisk will
show how many partitions you have -- you'll need a mount point for
each. (Or you can go through sequentially.)

I've seen many different implementations of mount points. I think that
often a mount point is chosen to indicate the physical nature of the
system, and then a logical link is used to put the file system in a
more usage intuitive path.

However, I have a partition for myself, my spouse, and our shared
space. We mount the partitions in the location of the home
directories. That's not a good design for a general case, but it works
for us.

The command

mount /dev/hdaX /home/xxx

may work just fine, as mount will probe to see what file system you're using.

Hope this helps,

(My burn was in cleaning up an old root disk. Either i fat fingered or
there was a treacherous symbolic link, and i deleted /dev from my
active root disk. Argh.)

Cheers,

judith