Assumptions when validating user data (Re: [Techtalk] SQL learning pointers)

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Tue Dec 3 11:51:25 EST 2002

On Tue, Dec 03, 2002 at 12:23:10PM +1100, Mary said:
> There's also an obvious problem for international customers if you
> assume phone numbers are a certain length.

And if you assume there MUST be a area code in the number. Some
countries have actually implemented a system without area codes - Norway
use all the 8 digits in the numbers for both local and long-distance
calls, and no digits should be removed when calling from abroad etc.

> USA-based sites regularly ask for state details, but only allow two
> characters for the state field, as the US Postal Service has helpfully
> given each state a two letter code. Other countries with states are not
> so lucky - I live in an Australian state with a three digit code, and I
> need to identify my address by either state or postal (not zip) code,
> preferrably both, to receive mail. There are suburbs with the same name
> as my suburb in several Australian states.

Other countries have no states at all or don't use information about
county or other administrative-level-between-local-and-national in
postal addresses, and that is definitely a problem if you HAVE to type a
state - and can't even use N/A.

Another thing is the address format. My address should be written
Magni Onsøien
Streetroad 4
7000 Trondheim
Norway

- not
Magni Onsøien
4, Streetroad
Trondheim
Norway 7000

or something like that. So could you folks making address forms please
allow for free form adresses (in a text are box maybe) or at least allow
numbers in the fields designed for letters, like the field for city? And
no required state information outside USA, please. Thank you :)

And some people have, as you may see above, 8-bit characters in their
names. Allow them at least in the credit card fields... (I don't really
know how strict the tests for correct VISA-card number and name is,
then. Sometimes I can use my 8-bit surname and sometimes I have to write
"Onsoien" in stead and both works (with same card number), so maybe they
just skip the 8-bit chars when computing the check sum (that I guess they
compute to make sure the name, number and expiry date is correct).)

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.