[Techtalk] SQL learning pointers

Megan Golding meggolding at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 2 06:51:55 EST 2002

Hello chix,

I want to learn SQL and SQL database administration and need some web
pointers. Once I've played around with a test setup, I'm going to
create a production database to hold contact information for a
corporate website.

I've already followed the tutorial at
http://www.mysql.com/documentation/mysql/bychapter/manual_Tutorial.html
(darnit -- Yahoo! is gonna wrap that link and there's nothing I can
do about it, sorry).

A few specific questions:

1. I understand MySQL isn't a fully relational database, like
postgreSQL and MS SQL Server. For keeping contact information and
relatively low loads, will this matter?

2. Can you give me a few URLs for web pages of
lesser-known-but-highly-valuable Learning SQL?

3. Is there a must-have book on the topic?

4. Any special tips on security from scripting abuses? My scripting
is in PHP and a little Perl.

Thanks in advance!

Meg

=====