[Techtalk] mail server poll

H. Peter Anvin hpa at zytor.com
Thu Aug 29 00:22:56 EST 2002

Carla Schroder wrote:

> Do you put your email server on a dedicated box, all by its lonesome, or
> combine with other servers?
>
> On a customer/work installation, what is your preference?

I think to answer that question, you have to answer another one first:
at what size installation?

Things are obviously very different if you have 20 people on a site (in
which case you probably only have one or a couple of servers to begin
with) and if you have 2000.

My recommendation, however, would be to separate out the mail server
onto its own boxes as one of the first services to be separated out,
although *after* file service (NFS/SMB).  File service should be the
very first thing separated out onto its own box.  In fact, for a
small-to-medium size company, I would start looking at Network Appliance
and its competitors very early for the file service -- they require a
lot less babysitting than any other file server I know of, but I do
*not* recommend them for large sites -- they are hard to manage when the
total storage exceeds the capacity of 2-3 large netapps.

	-hpa