[Techtalk] routing between networks...

Julie txjulie at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 28 16:50:09 EST 2002

Nils Philippsen wrote:
> This clarifies things (I thought your bridge and firewall would be the
> same machine). In theory, it should suffice for you to set up the route
> on your firewall, though. When a host on 10.0.0.0 tries to reach
> something in 10.0.1.0, it sends packets to 10.0.1.0 which will relay the
> packet through the static route and issue an ICMP REDIRECT to the
> originating host which will update its dynamic routing table. At least
> Linux boxes should do it -- you can always set a static route on all
> 10.0.0.x hosts to be on the safe side, but it's more cumbersome.

Oh, that's something I hadn't even thought of -- my firewall has
4 interfaces on it and I didn't even think about what was going
to happen to hosts on the 10.0.0/24 net who wanted to reach 10.0.1/24.
All of the machines in the house have the firewall as their default
route.

Though I think in your example you mean that when a host on 10.0.0/24
wants to send a packet to 10.0.1/24 it is sent to 10.0.0.1 (the default
route, no?), and 10.0.0.1 uses its static route to send it to 10.0.0.2
and issues the ICMP REDIRECT back to the originator.
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.