[Techtalk] routing between networks...

Julie txjulie at austin.rr.com
Wed Aug 28 15:23:40 EST 2002

Nils Philippsen wrote:

> On Wed, 2002-08-28 at 21:28, Walt wrote:
> > I have two internal networks (10.0.0.* & 10.0.1.*)
> > connected to the same redhat linux box. I need
> > to be able to route network traffic between them.
> >
> > Can someone give me some pointers on where
> > to start/what to use? Do I need to setup IPTables
> > or is there a more seamless way of integrating
> > the networks?
>
> Set net.ipv4.ip_forward to 1 in /etc/sysctl.conf and that should be it:
>
> [...]
> # Controls IP packet forwarding
> net.ipv4.ip_forward = 1
> [...]
>
> Afterwards, "sysctl -p". You don't need to mess with static routes as
> long as all can be found on the default gateway or attached interfaces.

You weren't clear about where this all needs to be done.  IP forwarding
must be set up on the machine(s) which bridge the networks, as well as
any other machine which might act as gateways off the private net (if
such a critter exists).

Also, if she doesn't have a default route defined, or her gateway
to the outside world is other than the bridge between her two private
networks, she may well need a number of other routes.

She doesn't, however, need "iptables" (which was another question).
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
txjulie at austin.rr.com                  or nothing at all.