[Techtalk] Window Managers ... again

Sophie sophie at cats.meow.at
Wed Aug 28 14:39:19 EST 2002

On Wed, Aug/28/02 03:25:31PM +0200, Gina Lanik wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 28, 2002 at 03:02:00PM +0200, BUNTER MATTHEW wrote:
> > I'm trying to find a Window Manager for my laptop that :
> >
> > a) isn't too resource hungry (2.5M graphics card, P500 with 128M RAM).
> >
> > b) is for the users who don't like to use the mouse much. I would like to
> > keep my hands on the keyboard as much as possible.
> >
> > and finally
> >
> > c) is fairly 'pretty'. I read a lot of pdfs and have found minimalist
> > window managers don't display images and diagrams very well.

Try pwm (it's on http://freshmeat.net). It's quite minimalist, and certinaly low on resource consumption, but it has one feature I now can't liv without - tabbed frames. You can kind of click together windows ontop of each other, and they form a stack of windows, a bit like screen(1) for X. Sort of. I cant really explain :)

- sophie