[Techtalk] (no subject)

Rebecca J. Walter rjp at mail.tele.dk
Tue Aug 27 12:49:19 EST 2002

On Tue, 2002-08-27 at 12:45, /dev/null wrote:
> sorry about the strange format - i've just changed mail apps now i have
> evolution installed again :)..
>

> okay.... i can get gnome2 running with startx... or rather by doing
> xinit /usr/bin/gnome-session
> (startx itself just runs a terminal on a blue screen again.. hmm...
> which is weird because my preferred environment is set to Enlightenment
> i think, which works fine... normally on mandrake startx starts up kde,
> and kde is working fine too...)
>
> the permissions and entries for Gnome, Sawfish and Fluxbox have
> disappeared overnight again...
>
> i've copied the old Gnome entry for gdm and renamed it 'gnome-session' -
> it still keeps re-writing the permissions on boot... this is weird, any
> ideas?....

the permissions thing sounds weird and goes way over my head.

What happens if you set your window manager to gnome-session (possibly
with the full path) and do startx that way?  Does it open your GNOME2
session?  i think it is export WINDOWMANAGER="/use/bin/gnome-session",
but I am not totally sure of this stuff.

Unfortunately I can't help a whole lot.. I never got a GNOME2 session
set up in GDM on the one computer and on the laptop I am still using
KDM.  I don't think I have GDM available yet.  Also I am using SuSE,
which might be different anyway.

Is the path for the new gnome-session the same as the one for the old
one? If not, you might need to edit the old session...