[Techtalk] apt-get problem - help!

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Fri Aug 23 23:27:35 EST 2002

On Thu, Aug 22, 2002 at 09:16:44PM -0700, Dave North wrote:
> Kathryn:
> > I am getting the following error when I attempt to run
> > apt-get update
> >
> > Reading Package Lists... Error!
> > E: Dynamic MMap ran out of room
>
> I've not seen that one, but according to Jason Gunthorpe (jgg at debian.org)
> apt uses a fixed memory cache to store package information. Depending on
> your apt version, this can be just about anything but is often set at an
> arbitrary 6MB.
> 	Fortunately (he says) it's just a configuration option:
> Cache-Limit
> 	What's not clear to me is how to set it. Maybe the -o command line
> option will work when invoking apt-get, or perhaps you can figure it out
> by reviewing /usr/share/doc/apt/examples/foo -- or maybe some invocation
> of apt-configure will do the job.
> 	Jason didn't say, and I don't know!

Well, it's all apparently to be found out in
man apt-config
and
man apt.conf

The apt-config command enables one to dump the current config on stdout,
so one can check one's config, and apt.conf is the man-page about the
file which one needs to create/update.
/etc/apt/apt.conf is its default location.

So I created said file, with the following line:
        APT::Cache-Limit 12MB;
and uncommented some of the lines in sources.list I'd commented out before,
and ran apt-get update again and...
got a segmentation fault.  Hmmm.  Probably didn't like the "MB".
Try again with
        APT::Cache-Limit 12582912;
and...
it worked!