[Techtalk] Kernel Building (was Re: Simply Hardware 3B)

Kai MacTane kmactane at GothPunk.com
Wed Aug 21 21:37:41 EST 2002

At 8/21/02 07:23 PM , Carolyn Hicks wrote:

>That would be make-kpkg. Works much like the Redhat method - you download
>and unpack the sources, run 'make menuconfig', then do
>
>make-kpkg --revision Custom.foo kernel_image
>[... etc. ...]
>Running dpkg --install on this package sets up the new kernel in /boot and
>tells lilo about it.

Wow. Even kernel compiles have gotten easy these days. At least on those
systems with package managers.

I think this is the first time I've actually regretted switching to
Slackware, even a little bit.

                                                 --Kai MacTane
"Playing dead and sweet submission,
  Cracks the whip deadpan on cue."