[Techtalk] Simply Hardware 3B

Andrew showork at adelphia.net
Mon Aug 19 22:36:50 EST 2002

Jenn, Sophie & those good people interested,

>remove the raid card until you're sure everything else is ok - right
>now, it's only confusing things.

	Pulled the PCI raid card, Machine booted off the CD instantly. Yeah!
	Now what?     Here is were IChat is a good thing.
	I have another HD floating around, remember there are 4 (60gb
ea) of them now disconnected in the machine. Where to from here??
Should I consider putting in the (extra) 15gb drive on the now vacant
seconday motherboard slot?

	It was my intention to use the raid as boot. should I?

>It's a Silicon Image 0680 controller,
	Yes how did you know????
	OK I intend to use the PCI card to stripe, someone suggested
a software raid was better, I have read similiar things, don't have
the experience to even dicuss it. SO I will follow you (Sophie) and
use the striped hardware raid when and if this show gets on the road.

>  >	OK I have faith WE can fix this Thanks.
>
>quite :) wait until you get to the kernel configuration ;)
>
>- sophie
		Aahh Yes, I see here, a sense of humor! (-: (-;  :-)

	I must apologize, I was beginning to loose faith and moved
all the drives down one in order to install a floppy, sorry I had
impure, less than faithful thoughts.

		Andrew

At 12:50 PM +0100 8/19/02, Sophie wrote:
>Remove the raid card from your system (unplug it from the
>motherboard) and see if you can get the system to boot without it.
>We can install raid later - one thing at a time!
>
>Do you plan to install your OS to the raid disks or to another disk
>on the motherboard's ide controller?
>

>>	Yes The *ide* for the 4 drives is on PCI. As yet I do not
>>  know what PCI IDE  controller it is.
>
>It's a Silicon Image 0680 controller, with a Silicon Image Medley
>bios (not to be confused with your motherboard's AMI (american
>megatrends incooperated iirc) bios.) I happen to have the same
>controller in my desktop machine.
>
>>	I left the Motherboard, Primary, for the CD-ROM (Master) &
>>  (Slave) CDRW. They are jumpered correctly and are now recognized by
>>  bios? a step in the right direction!
>
>great. I'll leave you in Jenn's capable hands for getting the system
>to boot. Again, remove the raid card until you're sure everything
>else is ok - right now, it's only confusing things.
>

>>  BIOS; AMIBIOS 02/06/02
>>
>>  Maybe there are jumper setting in the PCI as yet unnamed IDE card?
>
>I'm sorry, i dont quite understand what you trying to say here. If
>you mean is there a jumper on the pci card, all I rember is a couple
>of headers to connect LEDs to indicate disk activity.

	I do not see any jumpers now that it is out in the open.

--

	    Have a nice Day!,
		Andrew