[Techtalk] Well, if that didn't foul things up...

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Sun Aug 18 17:18:57 EST 2002

I installed the newest kernel at the redhat updates site (2.4.9-34) and
booted into it.  Wow.  All my sound-playing media devices failed to work
in new, spectacular ways.  XMMS had a particularly hard time of it,
failing to play a simple MPEG video it played earlier, then froze - kill
-9 <pid> didn't kill it.  I tried it as su, and it still wouldn't die.

So I rebooted.  Tried again, with gqmpeg first.  GQmpeg acted as if it
were outputting to a file - using a lot of processor and playing a twice
speed.  So I looked at the configuration, and it wasn't supposed to be
outputting to a file, and the output device was 'vol' (which I switched to
pcm, speaker, cd, and line, just to see what happened.)  So the speed
slowed down, like normal, but there was no sound.  At all.  So I closed
that and tried xmms, which died a nasty death again.  [Yes, a ps -x showed
that esd was indeed running.]

So I rebooted into the older kernel and tried to play an mp3 through
gqmpeg, and now my sound device is unsupported and generally non
functional.  (This happened back in May or June, if anyone recalls, and
was randomly solved on about the 15th reboot.  Totally befuddling.)  I
start esd, and this is the output:

unsupported playback rate: 44100
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 16bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 8bit stereo.
unsupported sound format: 32
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 48Khz, 16bit stereo.
unsupported playback rate: 48000
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit stereo.
unsupported sound format: 32
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 44.1Khz, 16bit mono.
unsupported playback rate: 44100
Audio device open for 44.1Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 22.05Khz, 8bit mono.
unsupported sound format: 0
Audio device open for 22.05Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit stereo.
unsupported sound format: 32
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, stereo, 8bit failed
Trying 11.025Khz, 8bit mono.
unsupported sound format: 0
Audio device open for 11.025Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8.192Khz, 8bit mono.
unsupported sound format: 0
Audio device open for 8.192Khz, mono, 8bit failed
Trying 8Khz, 8bit mono.
unsupported sound format: 0
Sound device inadequate for Esound. Fatal.

... which makes no sense, because it was happily working 2 hours ago.
Argh.  I need a live-in linux genius.

Conni

--
Since they're all rude, Hi, I'm Neil.