[Techtalk] sonypid/spicctrl

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Sun Aug 18 10:13:32 EST 2002

So I'm trying to get the VGA out on my laptop (vaio sr77) to work, and I
go to Akkana's Stupid Vaio Tricks page, since I remembered there being
directions on getting the function keys working.  I thought I'd ask here,
because maybe other people would have this problem, or have insight as
well.  (I have RedHat 7.2, kernel 2.4.7-10.)

First problem:  I can't figure out how to get the files unzipped.  They're
.bz2, and gunzip nor unzip won't work.

Second problem:  I am not very technically inclined.  How do I find out
what minor device my system will use?  How do I use modprobe?  (would that
just be 'modprobe sonypi on'?)  I'm also inclined to install it as a
module, but I can't figure out whether I have the right files already or
whether I have to find them.

I've also had no success getting the jogdial thing working right; maybe if
I get this sonypi installed right, I'll be able to fix that.

Third issue:  If I want to use the enhanced sonypid.c or the bright.c,
where do I put them?  (I am not a programmer.  I'm a pharmacy student.)
Where do I paste the other spiffy functionality things?

I have, however, gotten divx/aviplay mostly working, thanks to a friend
who made me nice rpms.  The 'mostly' part is this blue line on the side of
the video.  Don't know where it's coming from.  Very odd.

TIA.

Conni

--
Time does not betray a dream as long as the dream does not betray time.
			-Leiji Matsumoto, _Eternal_

		  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt