[Techtalk] Vaio -> Mandrake

Scott scott at scottah.com
Fri Aug 16 08:08:44 EST 2002

I did it gang.  The Vaio is now officially running Mandrake 8.2.

Technical discussion:

Sony Vaio GRX560
P4, 1.6GHz.
256mb ram
30 gig hard drive
12X CD-RW/DVD
16.1 inch screen
32mb video

It came loaded with Windows XP Home that I quickly replaced with Pro so
I could do networking.  Worked ok, but I knew it could be better.

Install was as simple as could be.  No trouble with video, pcmcia cards,
network, audio, usb, etc.  After 30 minutes I was running KDE at 1600 x
1200 resolution!  The Gimp never looked so damn good.

I told it to use DHCP since I have a Mandrake box in the basement that
handles DHCP for the home network, it took less than a second to
configure the networking.

Has to be a catch, right?  Sure, my mp3 playback speeds up for some
reason.  Not all of the time, but I tested burning a CD with kreatecd
and after it processed the mp3 it was playing about 2+ on the pitch
scale, but the CD sounded fine, so I will go back and play with that.

I also have to figure out how to access the Sony Memory Stick slot since
I have a Sony digital camera.

Overall, the install was faster and simpler than XP Pro and the machine
is much more solid now.

-Scott

Scott St. John
Operations, Talon Network Services