[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

Dave North dave at timocharis.com
Mon Aug 12 13:16:10 EST 2002

> > On Sun, 2002-08-11 at 13:09, Dave North wrote:
> > > Someone here kept bugging me to try ncftp

telsa:
> It might have been me.

Probably was, now that you mention it.

> I was very fond of it, but have now switched to lftp

Oh no! You mean I finally get around to trying it, love it, get Scott
hooked on it, and I'm Behind The Curve again?
	I have to work up the gumption to apt-get yet another ftp, try it
out, find out it's _even better_ and learn a few new commands?
	The Linuxverse is restless, brutal and unforgiving.

> which does the things I want just as well as ncftp and
> doesn't hang if you try tab-completion and the remote host decides
> not to respond.

Can I wait just a little bit since that hasn't happened yet? Or do I have
to do it now? Oh, I know the answer to that...

> You might also look at two other tools: wget and rsync.

Ak and Val love to rave about wget. I'm sure it's wonderful. But my
buffers are just too full of commands right now. Any more and I overflow
to typing arbitrary commands.
	This is when you remind me how long it took to listen to The Force
the last time, and how shabby was my ftp until I paid attention...
	Ahhh! Things are Getting Better Too Fast, Too Often!
	Rsync, of course, sounds perfect. So that's another one, isn't it?

> I use rsync for updating my website

You're merciless. Of course I need it.
	Can I finish getting Debian up on my Vaio first?
	Pleeeze?