[Techtalk] Beyond personal -> large scale Linux usage

Scott scott at scottah.com
Mon Aug 12 10:20:02 EST 2002

On Mon, 2002-08-12 at 09:32, Sophie wrote:
> May I ask why you're switching from BSD to Linux? I assume you're also familiar with BSD, and have investigated it's merits.

I have been using Linux more the last several years and prefer it to be
perfectly honest.  The Linux community is wonderful and I can usually
find an answer for a question in minutes.

> For the people runnign Linux, from what I know, it seems the customers' hosted servers run RedHat or SuSE (presumablly because the customers need "familiarity", whatever that is), and the ISP-administered machines run Debian. They seem to have no problems with load whatsoever, on machines from low-end pentiums to alphas, with a similar number of customers.

I am hearing that more and more and if I had to choose between Red Hat
and Suse I would lean Suse.  Rock solid performance and I hate to say
this, but everything just worked :)  Harder to find packaged for it, but
if you look you can find them.  Mandrake has been doing ok, but I never
the oddities with Suse that I have with Mandrake.

-Scott