Libraries and dependencies (Re: [Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ...")

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Mon Aug 12 12:05:18 EST 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 02:50:34PM +1000 or thereabouts, Mary wrote:

> There are a growing set of tools that automatically satisfy dependencies
> for you.
>
> The most well known is Debian's apt-get tool. There is also Red Carpet
> for Ximian's programs I believe. There is urpmi for Mandrake, and the
> Control Center's Install Software section is a GUI equivalent.
>
> I'm sure people can post others for their own distros.

For Red Hat:

up2date is the Red Hat program and what RH expects you to be using.

apt-rpm is a Conectiva creation, and (naturally) works on Conectiva.
It also works for Red Hat: http://apt-rpm.tuxfamily.org/

As far as I know, these work with programs which RH ships. If,
for example, you grab an rpm of nethack (not a program shipped
by RH), I don't know whether either up2date or apt-rpm would
help you.

Telsa