Footers (was Re: [Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ...")

Mary mary-linuxchix at puzzling.org
Mon Aug 12 12:04:17 EST 2002

On Mon, Aug 12, 2002, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 11, 2002 at 06:38:07PM -0700, Nicole Zimmerman wrote:
> [...]
> > I wish techtalk used sigdashes... just two -- at the top is all I
> > ask for the sig to autmomatically be stripped by pine ;o)
>
> It's a Mailman thing (flaw), although I can't remember if it's
> configurable via the admin interface or if you have to dive into the
> code to fix it.
>
> Also, it would need to be two dashes and a space (not just two dashes)
> to be a "correct" signature footer.

It's configurable via the interface. But it has to be done on a per list
basis.

I've Cc-ed volunteers so that all te list admins see this request
- please reply to the appropriate list if you want to discuss it.

Volunteers: the request is for the footer that Mailman attaches to have
the first line be "-- " (the standard sig delimiter) rather than the
long series of "-" characters it is at the moment, so that mail clients
that recognise signatures will filter it out or mark it in a different
colour rather than displaying it as part of the message body.

-Mary.