[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..." laptop TFT

cgay at donslothower.com cgay at donslothower.com
Sun Aug 11 20:57:16 EST 2002

On 11 Aug 2002 at 16:47, Conni wrote:
> > > Toshiba and IBM laptops and got everything working relatively
> > > painlessly.

I got every thing except PCMCIA and irda working on an HP laptop
with some pain.  The 2 mentioned may work I just have no way to
test them.

> I've had a bazillion problems getting RH7.2 to work on my VAIO SR-77.  I
> can't get Divx/aviplay to work at all - even with someone else's
> completely functional libraries and setup copied onto my disk in the right
> place.  When I play mpeg videos, the audio and video aren't in sync.  The
> console screen (the login prompt, before I startx) takes up a small subset
> of my display.  I can't get the jog wheel working, the function-f# keys
> don't do anything, there's no apm support (which I recently learned why:
> to get the made for XP sticker, there must be no apm support; only acpi.)
> I can't hotswap USB devices (there's a program called hotplug, I hear).
> gPhoto crashes.  I don't have a camera device (even when booting the
> computer and running kudzu, which makes the USB recognize things) as far
> as I can tell.  I try to configure gPhoto, and it gives a permission error
> and crashes.

Try this to get a full screen on a laptop console.  Assuming there is
no screen strech tool.  Compile the kernel with vesa framebuffer
support.  (make sure your video card supports vesa)  and put
vga=791 in your /etc/lilo.conf file
then run lilo

My guess is Redhat comes pre compiled with frame buffer support.
You shouidl see the penguin at boot time? or did redhat put in there
own graphic?

THis should get you a full screen.  As for acpi be careful with this,
the code seems a bit buggy.

chris