[Techtalk] forum software

Megan Golding meggolding at yahoo.com
Sun Aug 11 06:42:35 EST 2002

--- Carla Schroder <carla at bratgrrl.com> wrote:
> I finally lost the rest of my mind and want to host an online
> forum. I've looked at some free packages, I'd like some
> recommendations. Slashcode looks kind of messy, vBulletin
> discontinued their free edition. what else is there?

I'm a huge fan of Wiki. Here are some links:
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki (the original)
http://twiki.org/twiki (the type I use)
http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiEngines (a list of other Wiki clones)

You might think of Wiki as a concept, not a tool. So, in the forum
world, you have bulletin boards, slashdot-like forums, and Wikis.
With a Wiki, you get a website for linking between topics and the web
at large; you get a forum where anyone can post questions and anyone
can reply with answers in real-time; and you also get a great
discussion-fostering environment.

To learn more about Wikis, starting with the Wiki Philosophy FAQ is a
good idea (see http://c2.com/cgi/wiki?WikiPhilosophyFaq).

=====
Meg Golding    |    http://www.kalamitykat.com