[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

Beth Johnson linux.chick at verizon.net
Sun Aug 11 08:36:21 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-08-10 at 21:48, Scott wrote:

> Other problems I had recently have been solved by my tinkering.  CD
> burning now takes 9 minutes compared to 22 minutes on the XP box.

Hey, it could be worse.  My Mr. (WinXPPro) spent 3-4 days putting our
entire CD collection onto a separate physical hard drive, then backed it
up (because of the 3-4 days' work) to a second, identical hard drive.
We were all happily sharing music in our own house (5 node network) for
several months.  One morning the music wasn't there.  Not only not
there, but the disks, both of them, were completely wiped clean.
Windows wasn't even seeing the disks.  When I looked at them with
Microscope they were filled with zeros.  And no, there wasn't any
automatic mirroring going on so it's not like the first disk went goofy
and then got copied to the second disk.

The scary thing is, that is what the music industry wants to be given
permission to do, except I think they'd put some code on your disk to
taunt you after they'd wiped it.

He put them all back in as MP3s instead of wmp and is using MusicMatch
now.  MusicMatch was incredibly faster at writing the files.  Funnily
enough, when we tried to uninstall Windows Media Player we found no way
to be able to do it.  Hmm, I thought they got into trouble about an
uninstallable MSIE.

regards,
Beth
--