[Techtalk] Which Distro? (was Re: "I need to use Windows because ...")

Scott scott at scottah.com
Sun Aug 11 06:37:27 EST 2002

On Sat, 2002-08-10 at 23:35, Kai MacTane wrote:
> What do you mean, "does not allow you to compile by default"? Do you just
> mean that it doesn't install gcc/make/etc. unless you specifically ask it to?

Kai-

Meaning that during install you choose a full development environment,
but after the system is up you go to run make and you get the error that
it can not create executables.  A search on the Mandrake Forum yielded
the answer that even if you install all the development packages you
still have to:  urmpi this package and that package and so on.  I guess
the answer was the system was more user safe that way.  But, I bought
the Power Pack for "Power Users" so you would think it would allow me to
compile by default especially considering I selected development
install.

I have the Vaio ready for Suse.  The one thing I do like about it is it
solid as a rock, still, something about it.....

-Scott