Fw: [Techtalk] OpenOffice

Satu Lehesranta lehesran at messi.uku.fi
Sun Aug 11 13:34:29 EST 2002

Hi,

I'm actually rather surprised that so many people have had trouble installing OpenOffice. For me, it has worked great in Mandrake and Debian (and even in Windows). I've always used the tarballs downloaded from one of the OpenOffice mirrors. It even has a nice, Windows-type installation interface. The only trick that I know of is to start the installation as root with the -net option, namely

# ./setup -net

and to choose an appropriate location for the install, I usually use /opt/OpenOffice.org1.0.1.

Then, as a regular user, run the setup utility again:

$ /opt/OpenOffice.org1.0.1/setup

This should start the installer interface again, but with different options: workstation or local installation. Just choose the workstation installation, it will install 1-2 MB of files to the user's home directory, and then you're good to go. If necessary, add the binaries to the user's path and/or create entries to the desktop menu. No need to suid anything.

Regards,

Satu

--
Satu Lehesranta