[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

Kathryn Andersen kat_lists at katspace.com
Sun Aug 11 10:17:46 EST 2002

On Sat, Aug 10, 2002 at 12:20:31PM -0500, Katherine Evans wrote:

> My biggest need is tax preparation software for the US and Canada.  When
> I looked into it this past spring, the impression that I got was that
> Linux was too small a market for the commercial companies to bother
> with, but that tax law was too much of a moving target to get an open
> source version.

Tell me about it!
Here in Australia, the ATO (Australian Taxation Office) actually
provides free tax software, but just for Windows (Macs apparently are
supported by using Windows emulation?).  I ought to write to my MP to
complain that my tax dollars ought to support *me*, and they should be
obligated to provide a Linux version too.

I suppose I could try to get it to work with WINE, but every time I try
to set up WINE I give it a couple of goes and then give up.
Maybe I should try again -- last time I was on RedHat, and now I'm on
Debian, they might have an easier setup...

Kathryn Andersen