[Techtalk] "I need to use Windows because ..."

Suzi Anvin suzi at anvin.org
Sat Aug 10 14:16:50 EST 2002

Nope, I'm an utter and total newbie.  It's still in greek to me.  Let me
try to get clearer on what I need to do...

/dev/null wrote:
> ok.... just cd to the directory and type

which directory?

> chmod 4755 my_binary
>
> hope that works okay...
> you probably know chmod 755 well but the 4 in front of it allows it to be run
> as if you were root, even though you're logged in as a normal user :)

never encountered chmod at all, let alone know what chmod 755 means.
What is this, what does it do, am I changing something in my user
abilities, my directory, or the open office stuff?