3rd [Techtalk] kernel What have i done

Tabatha Persad tabatha3 at attbi.com
Thu Aug 8 20:03:30 EST 2002

On Thu, 2002-08-08 at 22:43, Andrew wrote:
> 	Can this be fixed by downloading Mndrk 8.2 rpms and going
> this route? It get me where I want, unless the error will pop up
> again installing the rpms. It is my guess and only a guess doing the
> rpms will solve the missing file problem and get me an up-dated
> kernel at the same time.
> 	Most important is not screwing up the server and it's files.
> 	Any comments welcome.

Are you asking if you should use the 8.2 kernel RPMs, or go completely
to Mandrake 8.2?

I was hesitant to go from 8.1 to 8.2, but it's been up and running
without restarting the machine or any services, for about 3 months now.
I'm quite pleased.

If you are going to update your kernel using RPM, I would highly
recommend using Mandrake Update, but then I'm not sure if it's on 8.0.
That might work for the kernel packages.

I agree with Mandi, you want to use the packages for 8.0 to fix the
kernel, not jump to 8.2.  There are a lot of big differences in these
distributions, and trying to use 8.2 packages based on what you have
might cause some problems!

May the penguin be with you,
Tab