3rd [Techtalk] kernel What have i done

Tabatha Persad tabatha3 at attbi.com
Thu Aug 8 02:23:42 EST 2002

Hi Andrew,

It seems to me that you should be able to use the full 2.4.19, and it
sounds like you got it from the best place available.  Any reason for
such a big jump?

I haven't had occasion to do this terribly often, but patching your
kernel can add in sometimes just the support you need.  For example, I
only ever downloaded and installed up to the kernel version I required
to make my sound work properly, rather than all the way up to the most
recent version.

I've never used an RPM to update my kernel, only tar packages, as the
site I use to follow instructions doesn't cover RPM. But I'm mostly a
paranoid type and have too much trouble with RPM dependencies to attempt
it when I know I can build and be sure!

If you visit the site below, it tells you how to do upgrade and patch
the kernel, point everything to the new one, update LILO, and still keep
your old kernel just in case.  The site also explains the difference
between stable and development releases (version number even/odd).
Overall, if you try updating or patching, this document should get you
through it!

http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/Compiling_Kernels/Kernel_Configuration_and_Compilation.html

Maybe if you downloaded the next version up from the one that is
working, and do a simple patch test first (starting to sound like a hair
process), to see if the patch will take okay.  If it works, try jumping
to the newest stable release, and see if that goes in okay.  If 2.4.19
is after the latest release, you can try patching to that version.

The reason I say this is maybe there IS a file missing that can to be
patched in before you update to the version you're trying to install.
I'm not sure if that's the problem, but having a few different ways to
try definitely doesn't hurt!

Give the link above a shot.  I am fairly confident that the "howto" will
guide you through this successfully.

Let me know how it goes!

Tab