[Techtalk] Website Building Program For Dummies (me)

Malke Routh malke at attbi.com
Wed Aug 7 18:24:03 EST 2002

On Wed, 2002-08-07 at 16:12, caitlynmaire at earthlink.net wrote:
> Hi, Malke, and everyone else,
>
> All of the programs suggested (Bluefish, SCREEM, CoffeeCup, Quanta Plus)
> are more or less like HomeSite in the Windows world, not at all like
> Publisher.  The good news is that all have icons you can click on and
> they supply the tags.  You then fill in what goes between the tags.
> They are also really good for hand-coding HTML (and CSS, and
> JavaScript).  They do things like show what's within tags in a different
> color, so you can see if you've got the syntax right a lot easier.  They
> are by no means drag and drop, and you'll have to learn at least some
> HTML to use any of them.
>
> My personal favorite is Bluefish.  It's very lightweight and GTK based,
> not relying on Gnome or KDE libraries, which means I can use it
> effectively on my tiny but limited Toshiba Libretto 50CT.  It's fast in
> any environment and not lacking in features at all.  SCREEM is
> Gnome-based, while Quanta Plus is KDE-based.   If you're running KDE
> anyway, Quanta Plus is *very* nice.
>
> If you really want to create a website in a word processor or publishing
> program and don't care if the resulting code is messy (which is exactly
> what you did in Publisher), you really want to look at Open Office or
> Star Office.
>
> All the best,
> Caity

Thank you, Caity.  After getting Tabatha's email, I immediately
installed Quanta Plus and Bluefish from the SuSE CDs.  I updated the
Quanta to 3.0.  Both programs look very interesting, but a little
daunting for a complete website novice.  I never thought of Star or Open
Office, but will try them.  It is embarrassing to admit to having messy
code (rather like having one's slip showing - and _that_memory certainly
dates me!) so while I can't say I don't care, I may go that way for
now.  I can then take my time learning some HTML.

Cheers,

Malke
--
Elephant Boy Computers