[Techtalk] Website Building Program For Dummies (me)

Megan Golding meggolding at yahoo.com
Wed Aug 7 14:47:12 EST 2002

--- Malke Routh <malke at attbi.com> wrote:
> Hi, all.  I have an extremely plain website, which I made in (I can
> hardly bring myself to say it) MS Publisher (in Windows).  This in
> itself should tell you that my web-building skills are pretty lame.

> Are there any linux programs that are sort of like Publisher, a
> drag & drop kind of thing?

Hi, Malke (and everyone else reading this, too)

Here are a few ideas I've tried out. I seem to be design-impaired, so
when I create a site, I try to make it super-easy to pull together
with minimal right brain work.

1. Try blog software for maintaining the pages. That's how my site,
http://www.kalamitykat.com, works. The main body content consists of
several blog entries. I combined the blog with a simple page layout
using server side includes and -- voila! -- a consistent site look.
Greymatter (http://noahgrey.com/greysoft/) is the blog I chose. In
fact, check out the author's site -- I think he uses the blog.

2. Play around with Bluefish,
http://bluefish.openoffice.nl/functionality.php. I haven't used it
much, but my impression was that it's a HTML-head's editor, so it may
not quite be what you're looking for.

3. Just found this one: http://coffeecup.com/linux. Disclaimer: I
know nothing about Coffee Cup.

4. If you're looking for ideas on how you might set this up with CSS
and SSI's, just holler -- I've made easily maintainable sites a
priority.

Meg

=====
Megan Golding    |    http://www.kalamitykat.com