[Techtalk] thanks for all the help!

Nils Philippsen nils at wombat.dialup.fht-esslingen.de
Wed Aug 7 19:57:06 EST 2002

On Fri, 2002-08-02 at 20:53, Dave North wrote:
> Caity:
> > Every extra service you run ...
>
> Good point. Plus, all the other comments about 'seemingly slow startup'
> are on the beam too. But ... I run mandrake, redhat and debian
> semi-regularly, and the big startup hit for me is kudzu. Nice feature and
> all that, but both redhat and mandrake dwell there for quite a while.
> 	(Sam: that's the "test for new hardware" phase of booting).

"chkconfig kudzu off"(*) is one of the first things I do on machines
after installing. You can always run kudzu manually after installing new
hardware/removing old hardware.

(*): Translated: "Disable starting the service 'kudzu' on subsequent
boots"

Nils
--
Nils Philippsen / Berliner Straße 39 / D-71229 Leonberg //
+49.7152.209647