[Techtalk] Printer trouble - minor breakthrough

Conni ccovingt at one-eyed-alien.net
Sun Apr 28 20:43:11 EST 2002

On Apr 28, Caitlyn Martin conjectured:

> Hi, Conni,

Hi, Caity!

> It's been a while.  I hope life is treating you well.

Relatively.  School likes to suck up my free time and all.  You?

> about it.  The net result is that basically, to make printing work with
> your printer, you need to rip out everything Red Hat included with 7.2
> and start from scratch.  I had to do that for Keith's Epson Stylus Color
> 300.

Does that include gnome-print?  abiword requires gnome-print and
libgnomeprint to run.

> For that you'll probably have to go with cups.  Forget printconf-gui:
> it won't work for you.  Plan on using kups to administer the printers.
> You need to rip out every last printing related Red Hat thing and start
> over.  It's not easy, it took me quite a few hours to get it right, and

What packages does that include?  Printconf, -gui, LPRng ... I think
Omni/-foomatic are required for gimp-print, as is ghostscript.  I think
foomatic is also required for something.  What packages am I missing?

Of course, it's finals time, so I shouldn't be spending entire days
fiddling with my computer.  I don't think I'll try anything else drastic
until I've gotten my paper for Tuesday printed out.

I'm also having problems with my ftp server ever since the power went out
for about 3 seconds yesterday morning.  It's supposed to be an
xinetd-controlled thing, but it's totally not spawning.  *grumble*

Conni

--
Entropy:  It's not just a good idea; it's the law.

		  www2.one-eyed-alien.net/~ccovingt