[Techtalk] Real Audio Probs...

hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk hobbit at aloss.ukuu.org.uk
Thu Apr 25 11:03:26 EST 2002

On Thu, Apr 25, 2002 at 12:38:29AM +0100 or thereabouts, E. Sterling Wall wrote:
> I just loaded Real Player for Linux on my system, but the sound doesn't
> come out right at all....

I can't help with RealPlayer but...

> - elizabeth (who's tired of only listening to mp3 radio shows and would
> like to listen to something new...)

If you have the vorbis libraries and an ogg player on your machine,
the BBC has been playing with ogg streaming for some time. You can
find out more at

	http://support.bbc.co.uk/ogg/

There's a mailing list (mentioned on that page) which has occasional
"Ooh, another machine: now we are streaming this, too" messages.

If it's music you want, then I imagine Radio 1 (charts and pop)
or Radio 6 (classical, apparently; I have never heard it) is what
you want. Radio 4 is the talk one, but isn't what I associate
with "talk radio", which seems to be people shouting at each other.
(Well, the "Today" programme is often that: its said to be a tough
ride for politicians being grilled on it, but that's different :))
Tonight's listings are fairly typical for Radio 4: half an hour
on the government's investigations into UFOs in the cold war, half
an hour on what US and European differences over Iraq might mean
for Britain, half an hour of a science and the environment programme,
and then the intellectual offering for the night appears to be four
people discussing Tolstoy.  :)

This may not be quite what you were after, but for anyone without
realplayer, it's at least an option.

Telsa