[Techtalk] X and resolution changes

Tabatha Persad tabatha3 at attbi.com
Sat Apr 20 11:54:25 EST 2002

Hi Hamster,

I had that problem with Mandrake a few years ago during an 8.0 install.
Haven't had it do that in 8.1.  The way I fixed it was to open a shell and as
root, run xf86config, but I'm a little short on the details.  Somewhere in
the configuration file there is a line that determines whether you are using
a virtual screen.

You might find this article helpful...
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/x-windows/xf86config.html

Now keep in mind, if you run xf86config from a shell to edit your settings,
you're playing with fire!  But viewing the file might give you clues what
line to look for in the xf86config file ( /etc/X11/XF86Config).

There is another article at Linuxnewbie.org about Installation and
configuration of XFree86 at:
http://www.linuxnewbie.org/nhf/intel/x-windows/xfree_4-gettingstarted.html.
Maybe this can give you further clues.

I am unsure which distro you use.  If Mandrake, you should be using your
Mandrake Control Center to accomplish this, in other distros it might be
different.

I'm sorry I don't have a quickie answer for you.  I know that running
xf86config will edit this file in a shell, but it could also cause you
keyboard/mouse/video problems if you don't do something right so you want to
be careful!

At the very least, you can compare your XF86Config file to one that doesn't
have the virtual screen and see what lines point to it.

Hope to have helped even a little!

Tabatha

On Saturday 20 April 2002 11:22, Hamster wrote:
> Hi,
>
> While using Ctrl-Alt-+ and ctrl-alt-- to change the resolution being used
> by X, the resolution itsself changes, but the window size doesnt.
>
> By that I mean, if I start X with a resolution of 1600x1200, and I then
> change the resolution to 1280x1024 by using ctrl-alt-+, I get the bigger
> text and icons with the larger resolution,  but now my desktop doesnt fit
> into my monitor. I have to scroll up and down and left and right to see
> everything.
>
> What do I need to do to get it to change the resolution and resize the
> desktop to fit on the monitor?
>
> If the working of my question isnt terribly clear, please let me know and I
> will try to rephrase it.
>
> Thanks
>
> Hamster

Tabatha Persad