[Techtalk] Fwd: [GLUG] Re: Microsoft new strategy

Jacqueline McNally jacqueline at decisions-and-designs.com.au
Wed Apr 17 14:33:57 EST 2002

At 07:43 PM 04/16/2002, Hardus Havenga wrote:
>What do You think we should do ?
>8>< - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

I went and had a look at the original article:

> > http://news.com.com/2010-1075-882846.html

The second last paragraph appeals to me:

"What should you do if you aren't happy about Microsoft escaping an
antitrust penalty? Don't be passive about it. Since Microsoft hates the GPL
so much, give them more of it to contend with: Deploy systems like
GNU/Linux as Web servers and other infrastructure, and consider Mozilla,
OpenOffice and Evolution for the desktop. Look around for software projects
that you can place under the GPL: internal tools, research work, products
that you built and then didn't sell--and get your employer to release them."

And the last paragraph states:

"But most importantly, let the U.S. Department of Justice and the nine U.S.
states that want to settle with Microsoft know that you won't tolerate a
sham. The remedies in the antitrust case must not exclude Microsoft's only
real competitor."

All the best
Jacqueline
http://mc2.vicnet.net.au/users/zenryaku/

Community Contact, Australia/New Zealand
OpenOffice.org Marketing Project
(www.openoffice.org)

Are you a computer angel? (www.ca.asn.au)