[Techtalk] Debian potato->woody upgrade?

Mary linuxchix at puzzling.org
Wed Apr 3 16:35:31 EST 2002

On Wed, Apr 03, 2002 at 01:20:50AM -0500, Terri Oda wrote:
> I don't mind reinstalling from scratch if that turns out to be what's
> best, (In fact, I might do it for kicks just because I'm expecting to
> have enough time to play with it next week) but I imagine there's
> something simpler.  Is just s/stable/testing through my list of
> package servers going to do it, or what else do I need to know?  Any
> warnings?

Edit /etc/apt/sources.list and s/stable/testing

Then 'apt-get update' to update the list of packages

Then 'apt-get dist-upgrade' to actually upgrade them.

I've taken a stable system to testing with no problems, however, it was
a relatively minimal install. It will take some time to do an upgrade of
a system with X et al on it, because you'll need to answer a whole lot
of configuration questions. You *may* also need to update then
dist-upgrade again.

I'm not sure how you *can* start from scratch, unless the woody install
disks are done.

-Mary.