[Techtalk] Bellsouth and DSL (beware the evil monopoly)

James james at james-web.net
Wed Oct 24 21:16:55 EST 2001

I know, its horrible.

I worked for a DSL company, and I have had a worse experience:

We provision the line, its all ready to go, but won't sync.

We clear it on our end, the CLEC clears it and hands it off to the
Nameless-ILEC.

Nameless-ILEC says, "Oh yeah, that customer's area has old wiring and won't
work for DSL until we rebuild it.  The projected rebuild start date is 18
months, but that might slip."

Thanks Nameless-ILEC for wasting lots of time and money.

But the worst part is, the customer can't scold the ILEC or even CLEC, they
only get to yell at the ISP (Because thats who they talk to).  So I get to
hear screaming for 20 minutes about something I can't fix or do anything
about.  The customer usually gets most of their money back, while the ISP
and CLEC eat costs there.

- James