[Techtalk] Any Bellsouth dsl users in the house ?

Rob Stevens linuxgawd at home.com
Sat Oct 20 18:37:03 EST 2001

----- Original Message -----
From: "Raven, corporate courtesan" <raven at oneeyedcrow.net>
To: <techtalk at linuxchix.org>
Sent: Saturday, October 20, 2001 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [Techtalk] Any Bellsouth dsl users in the house ?

> Heya --
>
> Quoth jfweber at eternal.net (Sat, Oct 20, 2001 at 01:52:21PM -0400):
> > gone so far as to contact bellSouth .. who , of course , tell us, they
> > "do not support linux" and wont even send us the modem unless we have
> > windows something on the box..
> > husband is seriously worried that w/o support we wont be able to use it
>
> Don't worry, it should be dead easy unless Bell South has done
> something really screwy with their setup.  Is it just the one computer
> that you want to set up with the DSL modem?  If so:
>
> Set your default route to the IP of the DSL modem using the route
> statement.
>
> Set your DNS to resolve to Bell South's DNS server rather than what
> you've currently got it set to.
>
> If they assign dynamic IPs, set your Ethernet card to be a dhcp client.
> If you have a static IP, just assign it to your machine.
>
> That should be it.  Then connect your Ethernet card to the DSL
> modem's Ethernet port with a crossover cable, and whammo.  Usually if
> you can get them to give you the instructions for Windows, you can
> figure out what you need to set under Linux.  Unless they're doing
> anything weird, the above should take care of you.  All you really need
> to know are IPs and whether its' static or DHCP.  (And if you're using
> them for mail and/or news, your clients will need their server names or
> IPs, too.)
>
> If any of that doesn't make sense or you need
> clarification/step-by-step instructions on how to do that, let me know.
> (I'm on vacation at the moment, though, so replies may take a few days.)
>
> Ssh-ing from the West Coast,
> Raven

As far as I know Bellsouth ADSL is PAP (Password Authentication Protocol)
style server.  Meaing you will need the PPPoE driver.  Its really simple to
setup.  I recommend the driver from Roaring Penguin (URL:
http://www.roaringpenguin.com/pppoe/).  With this driver all you need to do
(depending on your distrobution) is decompress it, enter the directory and
as root issue:
# ./go
It will ask a few questions, then your rockin on ADSL!  If your distrobution
includes this driver as part of its install you will find adsl-setup,
adsl-up, adsl-status, and adsl-down binaries.  adsl-setup (or adsl-config,
can't remember, its been a looooong day :) ) is the script to change server
/ basic firewall / PAP information.

Good Luck!
--
Rob