[Techtalk] iMac and Mandrake

Rebecca J. Walter rjp at mail.tele.dk
Sat Oct 20 18:05:37 EST 2001

On Sat, 2001-10-20 at 17:57, Ellie wrote:
> Thanks for the response.  I am trying to use Yaboot on a DV iMac of the graphite variety.  This is a work computer on an all Mac network, and I've never used a PPC variety of Linux before.  While I can still boot OS 9.2, I've never been able to finish the Mandrake install due the second error in writing the boot loader to the disk.  Thanks for the links.  Ellie

That link is definitely a good reference.  Also did you check the
partition type?  different distros work with different type boot
partitions.  SuSE works with a mac standard partition (i forget the
type) and YDL (Yellow Dog) works with a ext2 boot partition.  I have
never talked to anyone running Mandrake on PPC.  It might not be an
ideal first choice.  Most people I know with a PPC running linux run
Debian (special built for PPC), YDL, or the SuSE release.  I haven't
tried Debian yet, but have installed both YDL and SuSE easily on my
laptop.

I'm not saying go out and spend a fortune and buy a new distro.  (both
can be downloaded and burnt on a CD)  But you might want to look for a
reference specifically about Mandrake on PPC.  It will tell you all the
specifics of installing it on the PPC and whether or not it works.

bex