[Techtalk] Robust link checker?

Caroline Patterson carolinp at hycomat.co.uk
Mon Oct 15 15:12:08 EST 2001

On Mon, 15 Oct 2001, Raven, corporate courtesan wrote:

> 	Posting a question for a friend of mine -- I couldn't help her,
> but I'm hoping someone else can.
>
> 	She has recently taken on Webmistress duties for a large and
> robust site (http://www.pbs.org).  She's looking for a link checker
> program that can run through the site and give her a list of broken
> links so that she can fix them.  The problem is, there are hundreds of
> thousands of links on the site, and all the programs she's tried so far
> have crashed, unable to handle a site of that size.
>
> 	Anyone have any favorites or recommendations for her?  It can
> run on either a Linux or a Windows platform.

 Linkbot on Windows is fairly stable. I've never had any problems
running it over massive sites. However I was using a version that may no
longer exist (Linkbot Pro 5.5). It doesn't appear to be available from
their site anymore (http://www.watchfire.com/solutions/linkbot.asp). I
have a vague recollection that the Personal edition is fairly limited
and only checks up to 1000 links - rendering it useless in your friend's
case. :(

Caroline

--
Caroline Patterson