[Techtalk] deleting files

Magni Onsoien magnio+lc-techtalk at pvv.ntnu.no
Thu Oct 11 14:46:32 EST 2001

Lorry:
> I thought this was an easy question, but I asked it on another list and
> no one seems to want to answer me.  So... here's the deal.  I tried to
> install starOffice 5.2.  I had some rather bizarre problems with it, and
> they appear to be new problems every time I try it again.  I've decided
> to give up on 5.2 and try to get the 6.0 beta working.  My question is:
> can I just delete the files for 5.2?  I am pretty new to linux, and I
> just switched from M$ windows where you are supposed to "uninstall"
> instead of delete, so I want to make sure there is not some similar way
> of doing it in linux before I get rm-happy.  I have Slackware 7.1 if
> that matters....  Thanks very much in advance!

I wouldn't delete it if I was you - during the installation (or maybe in
the INSTALL-file, don't remember and I don't have this/those file(s)
here now) it's said a couple of times that you should keep the 5.2-files
due to compatibility because they may change formats etc before 6.0
non-beta is out. Probably this is only to make sure nobody sues them for
loosing files during beta use, but again: I wouldn't delete those files
if I was you :)

Usually you don't have to keep the old files, if there are
incomatibility issues there are usually some convert utils or simply
backward compatibility, but this isn't always valid for beta software.

Magni :)
--
sash is very good for you.