[Techtalk] Fortran? (was Re: US Participants)

Julie jockgrrl at austin.rr.com
Sun Oct 7 22:25:45 EST 2001

Kai MacTane wrote:

> At 10/7/01 11:28 AM , Shirrell wrote:
>
> >Hopewell New Jersey -- half way between
> >NYC and Philly.  I mostly lurk since my interest is
> >in applications and Fortran rather than administration
>
> Just out of curiosity, is Fortran really being used much anymore? I thought
> it was essentially dead.

We have customers who still use FORTRAN, so I can only assume
that there are programmers out there merrily programming away
in FORTRAN.

I've not used it in nearly 20 years, but if I was doing
scientific or engineering programming, that's what I'd use.
Likewise for having not used COBOL in 12 or 13 years and
feeling likewise about using it were I doing that sort of
programming again.

Fortunately I have the feeling that my life as a systems
programmer is more than secure and I'll enjoying using C
until I'm sick and tired of being a programmer in any
language ;-)
--
Julianne Frances Haugh             Life is either a daring adventure
jockgrrl at austin.rr.com                 or nothing at all.