[Techtalk] mac os x

Rebecca J. Walter rjp at mail.tele.dk
Fri Oct 5 17:44:51 EST 2001

> My question: If I don't really *need* aqua, and although I like it, it
> doesn't really do much for me, why not slap Linux PPC on the box, drop in
> Maconlinux to run the (very few) mac apps I still need, and leave it at
> that? For those of you who have spent lots of time with OS X and Linux,
> what's the advantage (until, of course, lots of apps go native - there
> probably will be apps that will be native for OS X, before being ported to
> Linux).

Depending on what machine you've got, a PPC Linux version can be
annoying to get running.  Also you want to check what versions of MacOS
work with MOL first.  No point doing it if the apps you want aren't the
right version.

Right now I am running SuSE 7.1 PPC on an iBook2 and I love it, but I
wasn't a mac user before this machine.  When I want to play a MacOS game
or watch a DVD, I just reboot to MacOS.  I am happy with it, but it
might not be the situation you are looking for.