[Techtalk] hardware recomendations requested

Robert Wichert robert at wichert.org
Wed Oct 3 17:03:17 EST 2001

The SCSI CDR is < $300 I have purchased three of them (they wear out and
I use them a lot) and I think you can get them for ~$250 at Fry's.  I
can't recommend a brand.  They all seem to be made sort of "the same"
but some have more cords...

A good flat bed scanner can also be had for < $300 with SCSI.  For a
while SCSI was standard on flat bed scanners.  I suppose the resolution
of a standard scanner will be adequate for prints.  It is the slides and
negatives that will need a high resolution device.  The Nikon unit
discussed previously sounds pretty cheap to me.  I had expected at least
~$3,000 to $5,000 for a Kodak unit.

(the Kodak format is what is giving you multiple resolutions in pcd
format.  I prefer the pcd format so if you can get it, I would get it)

If you buy the gear, you could go into business, you know!!!

Robert