[Techtalk] Vim, mutt, and terminals

Mary Gardiner linuxchix at puzzling.org
Tue Oct 2 08:01:07 EST 2001

On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 09:03:06PM +0100, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 01, 2001 at 03:00:28PM -0400 or thereabouts, Raven, corporate
> > courtesan wrote:
> > Heya --
> >
> > 	Not *strictly* Linux, but it is a Unix question, so I'm hoping
> > against hope that this is something that they have in common.  [grin]
> > Fairly recently, I had to reinstall a server of mine.  It used to be
> > Mandrake 7.1, and now it's FreeBSD 4.3.  I use Mutt as my mail client,
> > with vim as the editor.  Some of my correspondents have complained that
> > my mail is now comprised of really, really long lines, and they have
> > to scroll right endlessly in order to read what I'm sending them.
>
> ...and spend a while reformatting in a reply, yes. They're right.
> All of that from "Not strictly" was one line. Ugh :)

I find the key sequence 'gqap' in command mode in vim (don't type a colon or
anything first) will rewrap a set of lines. In the version of vim I have
(5.7.028-1 according to Debian's dpkg) it will respect a > beginning a line as
indicating that the whole line is a quotation, and will even quote the whole
thing properly, and will not join different levels of quotation together.

-Mary.

--
Mary Gardiner
<mary at puzzling.org>