[Techtalk] Server was broken into ... what good tools are there to probe vulnerabilities?

Michelle Murrain tech at murrain.net
Fri Nov 23 10:20:02 EST 2001

At 05:38 PM 11/21/2001, jennyw wrote:
>* Why a SonicWall instead of a Linux firewall? One issue with running a
>firewall at home is the cost of electricity.  For example, I had two
>firewall computers, and if they each pulled 100W, that's about $30/month in
>electricity. Plus whatever's needed for the Web/mail servers. Of course, if
>there are low-power consumption distributions of linux firewalls (running
>off a floppy and CD-ROM, for example), I'd love to hear about them!

Does the SonicWall do routing and NAT as well, or do you need a router?
Also, I looked a bit at SonicWalls' current product line - and found the
Soho line, which doesn't have a DMZ port, and teh pro line, which does, but
they are pricey - $1500+ - $1000 bucks would pay a bunch of months of
electricity.

.Michelle

Michelle Murrain, Ph.D.
tech at murrain.net